Sunday, May 20, 2012

Recovery Update

I haven't updated since surgery because life had gotten busy. Here in Michigan, the weather is finally starting to warm up and be beautiful! I end up spending a lot of time outdoors with my kids, so getting on the computer gets put on hold.

Recovery for me went pretty good. The first few days I was quite sleepy and slept a lot. The pressure bandage on my head was allowed to come off the Saturday following surgery, trying to remove that was difficult! Husband and I finally got it off and I was allowed to take a shower, just had to be sure not to get any water in my implanted ear as well as no direct spraying on my incision. (TIP: Using a cotton ball dipped in vaseline and putting in your ear is a good barrier for keeping water out of your ear.) I felt somewhat human after having a shower. Trying to figure out what to do with the mess of my hair was another story! My surgeon shaved off WAY more hair than I had expected him too. I seriously think they need to require surgeons to go to barber school! LOL

I couldn't sleep in my own bed, so I ended up sleeping in my recliner for about a week after surgery. I missed my bed so much! I tried to sleep in my own bed before my stitches removal appointment the following week, but trying to do so hurt, was way too much pressure on my head and made me feel really sick. It also seemed to bring on a really loud roaring noise. I tried again after I had my stitches removed and was successful! The stitches gave me a feeling of 'tightness'.

The top portion of my ear on the outer side is numb and anything hitting or touching it is very bothersome. Everyone that has had the surgery and had the same issue, has said it went away after some time. So I hope that it does!

Other that what was mentioned above and on my previous post (recovery immediately after surgery at the hospital was the worst for me)... I never had any 'major' pain. I kept up on pain meds and took all my antibiotic prescribed, I weaned myself of most pain meds by day 5. I had some mild discomfort and I would just take a regular Tylenol to help. Oh and where my hair was shaved, talk about itchy city as it tries to grow back in! And since the weather is getting nicer here and warm outside, it itches more!!

Up next, activation... that happens this week on Wednesday the 23rd! This will be interesting to find out what I do pick up with the processor. I'll update later this week, if I find the time to get on the computer after activation.

No comments:

Post a Comment